[OM] Macro Lenses

Subject: [OM] Macro Lenses
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 16:00:32 +0000
     For some time now I've been interested in the Olympus/Zuiko 55mm/1.2 macro
lens. They tend to be horribly expensive, more than I would care to spend for a
lens that would only have occasional use.
     Yesterday morning, Roberts Camera listed a Vivitar 55/2.8 equivalent for
just $70. After two counteroffers I picked it up for $65 with free shipping.
Despite the slower aperture, the Vivitar had much to offer above the Olympus.
The Vivitar goes down to 1.1 whereas the Olympus only goes to 1:1.2. The
Vivitar has a 62mm filter thread while the Olympus is 55mm.
     But the biggest advantage is the focusing control. The Vivitar has almost
350 degrees of focusing ring rotation, and all but a few degrees is in the
macro range of 0.24m to 5m. The Olympus only goes down to 0.45m, with less than
180 degrees of rotation in the macro range. The only other lens I have that has
this much control is the Tamron 01A, which I use for most wildflower and insect
photos.
     This lens is going to be fun.

Chris

- Hunter S. Thompson