[OM] [OT] Ice

Subject: [OM] [OT] Ice
From: Willie Wonka via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 19:43:47 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
 I seem to remember a discussion from about ten years ago with regards blue
ice.
I am following Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution on Facebook and today they
posted a good explanation along with a video on the subject which I found to be
right to the point.
For those without FB account:
"Why am I so blue? Blue ice, shown here as a chunk of glacial ice in the
#LemaireChannel in #Antarctica, gets its color due to how the ice is absorbing
#light.When snow first falls on #glaciers, it is filled with air bubbles, but
as it gets buried and squashed underneath younger ice, the older ice becomes
denser with its air bubbles shrinking and ice crystals enlarging.When
uncovered, due to summer melting or when the glacier tumbles in the sea, the
light hitting the older ice penetrates more deeply with the red and yellow
bands of the light spectrum absorbed and the blue light reflected. #blueice
#WHOI"
...and for those with FB account:
https://www.facebook.com/WoodsHoleOcean

Best