Re: [OM] The Lens Rental 10-year Challenge

Subject: Re: [OM] The Lens Rental 10-year Challenge
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 11:47:27 -0800
Moose d'oeuvres wrote:
> 4 for 5 here. 😁

Oooooooooo. (Minions in unison)

> Not entirely clear as yet, but it appears the OM-1 will lower their noise. I
> agree that the E-M1 II is darn good at
> moderate ISOs.

I'm a little bothered by the initial launch hype on this. It looks to
me like all the youtubers and bloggers that had pre-launch samples
were given a placebo camera that had the appearance of improved image
quality because they were told there was an improved image quality.
However, from what I can tell, the raw files aren't markedly improved,
but the image processing engine is.

A week or so ago, I shot an event almost entirely with the E-M1 Mk2.
My primary lens was the 50-200 SWD, which honestly out-performed the
sensor in the camera. There is nothing shy about that lens. Everything
was hand-held and was typical theatre lighting. The biggest problem I
encountered was the auto-exposure (sorry, I was being an idiot)
struggled a bit. Also, there were a handful of pictures that had
obscene amounts of shadow noise (mostly greenish) even though the
image had the same ISO and exposure as the others. This inconsistency
meant that there were a few images I really had to deep dive into and
fix in Lightroom to take care of the variance.

Had I shot the event with the Sony, my noise would have been a little
better, maybe. In all honesty, when you compare PROCESSED images (just
like the Lens Rentals comparison) to match up to the color/contrast
characteristics of the Olympus cameras, the full-frame cameras (my
personal ownership experience is primarily with the Canon 6D and Sony
A7ii) don't really hold that much of an edge. If I try to match the
Olympus images to that of the Canon/Sony camera's color/contrast
characteristics, then the noise is unbearable.

> For me, it's what OMS is now calling "Computational Features" that drive the
> ability to get shots I couldn't get before.

That's really where the main advantage is. We see it in the iPhones
too. My lowly iPhone 12 Pro takes mind-boggling good photographs even
though it has gut-wrenchingly tiny lenses and sensors. If that amount
of computational imaging would be put in a real camera? Oh, bring it
on! I think the OM-1 is a big step forward in this regard and I think
we are on the very front edge of a camera revolution.

AG Schnozz