Re: [OM] IMG: pics with my new Olympus OM4T

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: pics with my new Olympus OM4T
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 21:01:56 -0800
Yes, the miJ seems to be the best for most purposes of the 50/1.8's.
The early type 1 SC may have a special purpose for B&W according to AG who
ought to know.  ;-)

That was my blunder. I got so excited about the OM-1 when it came out that I bought one, with the 50/1.8 I had little money at the time. I had been using a Nikkor 50/2, and the Oly was a real step down. Not actually awful, but kinda soft and kinda low contrast, compared to the excellent Nikkor.

Then the OM 35-70 came along. Situation reversed. The fist Nikkor 43-86 zooms were pretty bad, while the OM was excellent. I was back on happy street.

According to an early post from John
  Type 5 (miJ)  has the same rear element as type 3&  4, but a totally different
  front group (w/filter ring) (ZJ1669).

A late sn  approx >1.1 mil  50/1.4 might be the sharpest of the bunch and can
often  be had for not much more than an miJ.  An miJ is a nice classic though.

The 50/3.5 macro is not very expensive either and quite highly corrected but
often very harsh bokeh.

I have, and used to use, all three. The main problem with all of them, in common with most double Gauss designs is with close subject and distant background.

The 50/3.5 is an exemplary macro lens, flat field, very sharp, almost equally across the entire frame. Best @ 1:2, softening a little @ 1:1. But they made other lenses for that. The problem was with a real close-up of something with distant background; the bokeh went awful.

The 50/1.8 could do that, as well. I managed, not purposefully, to get rings, like a mirror lens. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Bokeh/5018bokeh.htm>

The 50 F2 macro is very expensive, last I looked and has a very nice rendering
with usually better bokeh.

Never had one of those. I couldn't see the point of less DoF for C-U for a lot
more money.

One of each isn't a bad answer.  ;-)

Three for four (and multiple copies.)

Nifty fifty fan, Mike

I've had the most fun recently with the Canon FD 58/1.2. Same optics as the R version, introduced in 1962. Rendering is quite different than more recent designs. 😁

Aberrant Moose