Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/11/2021: how does one photograph wind?

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/11/2021: how does one photograph wind?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 16:55:55 -0800
On 12/4/2021 12:08 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
Last Sunday, as I set out on my bike ride, a very strong wind was blowing from the
south-west. I had elected to go south to the beaches south of Alicante, so it meant
that the first half of my 80 km ride were against the wind—character-building
to say the least (the route is circular, so I did not have tailwind all the way home
afterwards, sometimes strong side wind which always makes cycling more interesting
;-)).

In any event, it was not particularly cold, somewhere between 15 and 20C,  but
the wind kept people away from the beaches. I first stopped at Urbanova, a
beach about 17 km south of where I live, close to my office.

 From a photographic point of view to photograph wind is harder than to
photograph, say, rain. Here is one attempt:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-tcr4KnP/A
I like this one quite a lot. Such a beautifully simple composition. The windiness is clear to anyone who is familiar with its effect on sand, and in the half buried boardwalk.

The only person I saw at Urbanova:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-QhtvDLW/A
(In the distance are some ships and what appears to be a giant UFO, although it
could be the island of Tabarca)

This one is odd, from the standpoint of photographing wind. Wind is seen in the spume blowing off the breaking waves and in the woman's hair, but the palms look serene. (My Zoom background is waves rolling in and palm trees waving gently in the breeze behind me)

At the southern-most point of my route, Santa Pola, the beach was also
deserted, with a man looking for coins with his metal detector the only human
presence:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-mzPCw6K/A

This is the least successful to me, as the busy background distracts from the
subject.

Gale Moose