Re: [OM] IMG: Leg Vise from the Past

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Leg Vise from the Past
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 21:57:17 -0700
On 10/11/2021 12:54 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
When I  was about 10 years old, in the 1930s, this old leg vise was mounted beneath a large Sweet Gum tree as a part of an outdoor blacksmith shop  where my Dad did repairs on his meager farm equipment used on our small farm in Mississippi. Since my Dad's death, the vise has followed me as a part of the tools that I find handy. I gave it a coat of paint some years ago, and I keep grease on the screw. It still provides faithful service just like it did when new, 100 years ago. Mounted to a bench in my garage, I still see it every day, and find it useful about once a month.  I checked, and similar ones are still offered for sale today.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20211011-DSCF3317-Enhanced.JPG.html

Nice looking piece of gear. I'm not sure how it may be better than my contemporary, more conventional vise, but I would also be using one if I had inherited it as you did.

Gripping Moose