[OM] Nathan's PAD 24-25/8/2021: Budapest vignettes

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 24-25/8/2021: Budapest vignettes
From: Nathan Wajsman <nwajsman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 06:51:51 +0200
We are taking a city break in Budapest this week. We have been here since
Tuesday and are flying home Saturday morning. It is basically the first visit
for all of us; I was here with my parents as a 10-year old but remember
virtually nothing from that visit, and my wfie and daughter have never been
here before now. It is proving to be a magnificent city, with impressive
buildings and art, but also charming and very lively. Like other places in
Eastern and Central Europe, it is also heavy with history. Five images from the
first couple of days.

One of the principal streets in the Jewish quarter is called Kazinczy Street.
It has many bars and restaurants; we spotted this couple promenading their very
impressive dogs:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-NvQFBBP/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-NvQFBBP/A>

The Dohány Street Synagogue is enormous, the largest in Europe and the
second-largest in the world (the largest is in New York). The Jewish population
of Budapest is substantial, around 100,000, but most do not go to services
regularly, so this place is only full for the most important holidays. But it
is magnificent, and behind it are several moving memorials to the Budapest
ghetto, including a mass grave of more than 2000 people found dead when the
Soviet army liberated the ghetto in January 1945:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-jHgtQgL/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-jHgtQgL/A>

Shoes on the Danube Bank is a monument to a group of Jews who were executed on
the banks of the river by the Fascist Arrow Cross militia in early January
1945, just a couple of weeks before the liberation of the city. The memorial
was created in 2005 and is visited by many. People also leave candles and
flowers amid the shoes:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-w6j2B93/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-w6j2B93/A>

Something amusing, spotted by my daughter as we were walking around:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-SDXpvKz/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-SDXpvKz/A>

Conversation on a balcony, on the edge of the Jewish quarter:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-z2XKzQs/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-z2XKzQs/A>

Much more to come. Incidentally, these are full-size JPGs that I shot in the
Fuji X-E3 alongside the RAW images. They seem to work quite well, certainly for
images with good light.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
http:// <http://www.greatpix.eu/>www.greatpix.eu <http://www.greatpix.eu/>
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"

Nathan Wajsman (gmail)
nwajsman@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws
http://www.greatpix.eu