Re: [OM] ON1 NoNoise AI

Subject: Re: [OM] ON1 NoNoise AI
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:05:56 -0700
On 7/23/2021 8:40 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
And we have another one joining the noisy AI bandwagon.

https://petapixel.com/2021/07/21/on1-nonoise-ai-versus-topaz-denoise-ai-noise-reduction-throwdown/

Interesting, and a little bit frustrating:

He gives no information about settings, other than a screen shot that suggests he used Denoise's auto settings. Then he dismisses the three other Modes.

I've used Denoise at least hundreds of times, maybe over a thousand. As Denoise has progressed, the Auto settings seem to have improved, but they often aren't right. And "Standard" Mode isn't always the best option, esp. at higher ISOs and more noise.

So, I hesitate to take his Denoise examples as definitive. Likewise, if he's sloppy with Denoise, how would I know if he's using the ON1 product at its best?

I wouldn't use the Raw conversion of either product; third rate. That Topaz works well as a PS plug-in gives it a big work flow advantage.

Credit where due for using several different examples. Tough assignment, with lots of options and limited resources. OTOH, it means his conclusions aren't useful to me.

BUT - for me, it ignores a significant side benefit of the Denoise training. It makes the best capture sharpener I've seen. I know that's not what it's sold as, but it's terrific.

Because it's what I was working on at the time, and I had a subject with a wide range of colors, , brightness, detail, textures, etc., this examples are from the Panny ZS200, 1" sensor. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Topaz%20AI/Denoise_as_Sharpen/Denoise_Sharp.htm>

Even with the shadows raised a bit, there's no noise problem, so I don't need a noise remover. But look at the increase in clear detail! If you don't at first see a difference between the last two, look around at different parts. If you don't see a different between the first two, get your eyes checked.

Les Informed Moose