Re: [OM] CU and teleconverter notes

Subject: Re: [OM] CU and teleconverter notes
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:24:24 -0700
On 7/20/2021 7:28 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
I was looking into getting a 1.4x teleconverter for closeup magnification and
came across these photons to photos articles from 2007.

My take is the same as usual; mechanical aspects, ergonomics and usage are more important than all the stuff in those links.

Practice trumps theory; I have many, many stunning close-up/macros shots using
C-U achromats.

At home, sure, whatever you want.

Out in the world, there's dust and wind. There's often nowhere to put anything down that's safe and clean. Subjects move; the shot is, too often, gone in seconds.

Put C-U lens on, using Xume magnetic filter mounts, maybe 5 seconds, pulling out of pocket or pouch and slapping on. Take it off, into palm, 1 second. Exposure of camera sensor to environment = zero.

Put TC of Extension tube on, at least 30 seconds, more if I drop anything, same for off. Exposure of sensor; one item to remove and two to attach for on, reverse for off. And, of course, all get waved around in handling.

Dusty roadside. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/evwAMQf237VgYjaW8>

Narrow, muddy footpath through this rice field.
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/oh1NS97k6hEbqpPEA>
Local fauna. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/DkkhrM54c5rvpo317>

Two+ weeks in Bhutan - dust on GX9 sensors = 0.

First place I used my then new PLeica 100-400 outside of the front yard. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Carrizo_Plain&image=_A004416oof60.jpg>

With my recent acquisition of the Oly 1.4x TC for the Oly 100-400, I am again, after many years, dealing with these logistics, and I hate them. So far, 1,100 mm eq. trumps the annoyance factor. 😉

Moose D'Opinion