Re: [OM] What a Day! With pix.

Subject: Re: [OM] What a Day! With pix.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 16:15:03 -0700
On 5/7/2021 8:21 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 5/6/2021 09:53 PM, Moose wrote:
<. . .>

I have as yet not tried the lens alone @ 300-400 mm for things like Flutterbys.
Should be better, with the shorter focal distances.

In any case, don't expect to try the Oly 100-400 with ProCapL and magically get perfect shots.
😁 It's a powerful tool, but with limitations and a learning curve.

Heading Up Moose
Interesting Moose. I remember the testing at 300mm.

The vimeo link did not work for me.

Either things have changed or I forgot how to post Vimeo clips. Try this.
<https://vimeo.com/279563550>
It is integral to understanding, beyond intellectually, how profound the effect
is.

I have not spent much time with GX9 and PL 100-400,

Such a beloved combo to me. I liked the lens on E-M5 II, and even more on the GX9, with thousands of 400 mm shots with each. It is with reluctance that I pick up E-M1 II and Oly 100-400, bu -, ProCapL and longer/closer reach with the TC.

but I certainly live where heat can be a problem.

NS, Sherlock 😁

I was wondering if the DFD (depth from defocus) has issues with the wavering
heat distortion?

I've not noticed that.

  Although I have to say, your examples have an interesting painterly abstract
quality.

I love the birds, and like a fair number of those "abstract-ish" long shots
I've taken. I keep an eye out for opportunities.

I find early morning before the sun has heated up the landscape minimizes heat
distortion. I hear the worms are better in the early morning also.

I'm a night owl, so I virtually never eat breakfast at home. I lean toward eggs and bacony things on the road - and don't recall seeing a worm omelette offered anywhere I've eaten.

I did just read about a little kid who are a worm, presumably to impress the two little girls. It was fiction, but I imagine it has happened.

Earthy Moose