Re: [OM] OT: Wireless Internet

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Wireless Internet
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 15:15:43 -0700
On 4/21/2021 7:06 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      Both Verizon and T-Mobile are launching a nationwide programme to provide
wireless 5G internet everywhere.  Except where I live.  Neither of them
currently have that service available in my neighbourhood,

We live practically next to a major University. Verizon is the only one that provides (almost) useful cell service here - one, occasionally two bar LTE. Fortunately, it uses my WiFi for this end of calls. I'm not holding my breath for 5G wireless useful for computer connections.

No one has as yet run fiber up here, although there are occasional threats. It's notoriously unreliable twisted pair or cable. OTOH, Xfinity, nee Comcast, has upgraded their service. I now have "Gigabit" internet for less than I used to pay for 175kbps. And it really is! Something over 900 kbps on computer attached directly to the modem.

NordVPN chops that down to a bit over 500kbps, still fast enough.

Wired Moose