Re: [OM] IMG: From the Archives, an Adult Cicada

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From the Archives, an Adult Cicada
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 02:16:34 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<<I assume they see in monochrome through those RED eyes.

Most insects at least within their compound eyes have at least two
photoreceptors types, often one in UV range.  So Cicada color vision may not be
great but unlikely to be monochrome.
Monarchs are trichromatic like bees.  Bees do not see red though, IIRC but have
a photoceptor in the UV range. One type of Swallowtail has 15 subtypes of
photoreceptors.  Too bad I can't elicit help from them in optimizing color in
photoshop.  Lab color would be a highly restricted color gamut for them.  As
you can see there exists a wide range of color processing abilities in insects.
  I don't know specifically about cicadas--perhaps Dean would know.

Nice image, BTW.

Mike