[OM] IMG: yesterday's brevet, or 200 km on the bike

Subject: [OM] IMG: yesterday's brevet, or 200 km on the bike
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 20:50:02 +0100
Yesterday, I participated in a 200 km brevet, organised by a local cycling
club. The route is here:
https://www.openrunner.com/r/9304251?fbclid=IwAR0U5RYln7CnKY1WKGpH_f409pWAnSjILfWHOvaeLJ2mKRE8TO6caX0-48Y

A brevet is a type of bicycle race that is not a race. It does not matter who
comes first. You get a medal as long as you check in at the checkpoints within
the defined time windows, and you have to complete the ride within the maximum
time, which for a 200 km ride is 13.5 hours. There are other rules; for
example, you are not allowed to receive any assistance along the route except
from other participants (so no spouse following you in a car with tools and
refreshments). The rules of the sport are regulated world-wide by the mother
club in Paris, where this flavour of cycling was defined more than 100 years
ago.

Usually, a route sheet (the brevet) is handed out before the ride, and you are
expected to have it stamped in the villages that are defined as checkpoints
(usually at a gas station or convenience store). But in these Covid times, we
were supposed to use selfies instead, so there are a couple of cheesy photos of
me in the gallery. The first 100 km of the ride were quite hard because the
terrain was hilly—but also pretty. The second 100 km were easier because it was
flat.

I took a few pics along the way besides the required selfies:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Brevet-200-km-Alicante-Sur-2021/

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"