Re: [OM] IMG: my mother's frikadeller

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: my mother's frikadeller
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 17:00:37 -0800
On 3/2/2021 9:19 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
I call them like this because “babcia” means “grandmother” in Polish, and this
is how my children (who otherwise do not speak Polish) called my mother.

Ah yes. My late wife was half Mexican and half Polish, so we had a Babcia and
an Abuelita.

Babcia was a nasty, mean spirited old woman, who would stir up trouble between family members just for fun. Spilled wine? Good. Blood, better! Good cook of Polish food, as judged by the cooking of the daughter she taught.

Abuelita was a cultured, sophisticated, widely read delight. We visited her fairly often. Didn't cook herself, but closely supervised the cook/maid who cooked.

Shortly after my about to be 10 yr old son came to live with me full time, we took him to Mexico. He yammered on about how he was going to love the food. First night, first course, delicious squash soup, with blossoms floating in it. "That's not Mexican food!!" Well, yes, it was, but not Cal-Mex street food. 😁

Dinner Time Moose