Re: [OM] Life events and moves

Subject: Re: [OM] Life events and moves
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 10:28:37 -0900
> My mother-in-law lived there for a few years. She was a shipping agent
> for the cruise ships and also worked in the fishing industry. From what
> I heard about Whittier and other remote Alaskan villages (she lived in
> Dutch Hbr among others too) you should budget a weekly counseling
> session along with food, rent, etc.:)

Well, that would explain the whole "mother-in-law" thing for you. :)

As to the weekly counseling session, that pretty much goes without
saying. It's kinda funny because Alaska is "remote" for everybody
coming up from the Lower-48. But within Alaska, there is remote, very
remote, extremely remote, and Mars. It's a matter of degrees. As
different as Anchorage is from Kansas City, places like Whittier are
different from Anchorage. And then the real remote villages are as
different from Whittier as Whittier is from Anchorage. And then you
have the off-gridders who are miles from the nearest remote village.

What makes Whittier feasible for me is that it's still close enough to
Anchorage and is accessible by road. (barely, and not at night).

I'm also looking at Girdwood (where the ski resort is). It's closer,
and the climate is MUCH better. OK, let's face it, the climate in
Whittier is miserable at best. It's a requirement to have a
weather-sealed camera. But what is intriguing to me is the opportunity
to live in such an unusual place for a while, learn the people and
share the experience with others. Nobody is interested in my Anchorage
stories.

We just had a nice 5.3 a few minutes ago. Our cracks have cracks.

AK Schnozz