Re: [OM] Flash Frustration

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash Frustration
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 05:10:41 -0700
At 2/25/2021 12:34 PM, AG wrote:
>Slightly dimmed Moose wrote:
>> OK, I'll let you do the research and testing.   I also have a couple of
>> those AA powered cheapies. But I had points at
>> Adorama expiring around the anniversary of Caesar's death, so what the heck?
>> One more thing to fuss with and forget how to adjust and use? Perhaps not;
>> I've been thinking about something like this.
>
>For macro photography, these are fantastic. I'm fully convinced that
>they are a very good tool for the job. As to the difference between
>the inexpensive Sunpak and the Phottix, it's really a night and day
>difference. From a size perspective, I can store 4 Phottix in the same
>space as a single Sunpak. From a brightness perspective, it's brighter
>too. I like the adjustable white-balance as I can do a little game
>playing there to change the background color balance to create
>separation for my subject.
>
>The only drawback to continuous lighting for field macro would be the
>output power will be on the threshold if you compare to flash, but
>even at that, a T10 is a pipsqueak too, so maybe the output power is a
>non-issue. If you're serious about macro lighting you're using two (or
>more) lights anyway, so it's going to be fine.
>
>I'm using mine all the time for work zoom calls. It's not unusual for
>me to be camming 4-6 hours a day. With the power set at a reasonable
>level (doesn't need to be on high unless I'm getting a very bright
>blast of sunlight coming through my window), I can run the Phottix all
>day on a single charge, and around 4 hours on a set of Eneloops in the
>Sunpak. On busy days, I go through two different bluetooth headsets.

I once tried cross polarization with a polarizer gel on a flash. Lasted maybe 3
shots before the flash killed the gel. My next attempt was going to be using a
diffuser with the gel on that, but the bulk was not good in the field and have
not looked into it for years.

Now, I have been wondering if using the LED lights might work, with a gel
attached, or if the amount of light required is insufficient.

WayneS