Re: [OM] Flash Frustration

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash Frustration
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 13:04:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Exactly right, and I've been using the built-in flash on the E-500/510/520
to provide the level of fill needed to highlight features of plants and other
outdoor subjects.  But it's not always totally useful if the flash source needs
to be somewhere else.  A case in point is photographing Datura flowers.  They
are a brilliant white, and to eliminate any shadow you need a small flash held
at the right position to counter the shadow.  Too much flash power and you'll
ruin the texture.  And the foliage is a dark green, which is a deep contrast.
If the plant is in soil that is rich in magnesium, the flower is tinted with
purple.  They are magnificent (and deadly) flowers and are worth the trouble.

     My goal, for some time now, is to have an off-camera flash of similar low
power that can be used in such situations.  I've bought a number of low-power
flashes, but the results were less that I desired, mostly because they weren't
low enough.  The FL-36 and FL-50 should do well.

>3. If I'm just trying to lighten the eyes and soften facial features a
>touch, the built-in pip-squeek flash in our digital cameras is more
>than adequate. Seriously, it works pretty well.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson