Re: [OM] The old neighborhood, 1955

Subject: Re: [OM] The old neighborhood, 1955
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 12:19:38 -0900
>      Lucky him.  I wonder how many WWII veterans don't know that they fall in
> the same category?

Not many. I graduated from high-school six months early and got an 18
month enlistment. Had he waited until graduation to be drafted for a 2
year deal, he would have been sent to basic training and then
discharged right away. Those that didn't get discharged ended up
getting caught up in early Korea issues. So, he really lucked out. He
really lucked out because one of the benefits he did get was the GI
Bill and used that to take classes.

AG