Re: [OM] The old neighborhood, 1955

Subject: Re: [OM] The old neighborhood, 1955
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 09:39:03 -0900
> I finally got around to reading this.  It's interesting, as I was living on
> Governor's Island (Headquarters First US Army) at the same time.

That's where my dad was when he was in the Army at the tail end of
WW2. His unit was trained for riot control and insurrection in
Germany. Neither occurred, so his unit was disbanded. While there, he
got an assignment in the photo lab because he could type. After a
couple of weeks, they threw a Speed Graphic at him and had him go take
pictures in NYC. There was an Army photographer present for just about
everything that ever went on in NYC. He got to meet a lot of very
famous and infamous people.

Side note. My dad had never considered himself a "veteran" because his
entire time in the Army was 18 months and he never left the country.
Several years ago, he found out that all but a couple months were
officially classified as wartime duty and he's eligible for benefits.
It pays for 1/2 of his assisted care facility today. And most
significantly, a change made in the last administration allowed him to
get VA medical benefits without having to go to a VA facility.

AG Schnozz