Re: [OM] Sunset on the Mountain

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunset on the Mountain
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:10:41 -0900
Thank you!

I took a few dozen photographs and got several different
interpretations of interest. This one accentuates the features of the
tree and it looks like there are two branches reaching out to the
sunlit mountain, like a monster trying to grab it. With the editing
there is a lot of artistic interpretation being applied. On facebook,
I posted this, along with the non-edited (other than the crop)
version. While nothing wrong with the original version, it didn't have
do anything other than be a picture. It just kinda sat there.

So, just like everything else with me, there's a backstory...

I was out hiking yesterday and did about five miles. The trails were
pure ice covered by a couple inches of fresh snow. Even with
"grippers" (ice cleats), I went flying a few times and almost ended up
on my can. I did wipe out once and had to brush the snow off the
camera and lens. I was a little more careful after that. However, that
also slowed me down, so I didn't make it down all the way to the river
rapids camp. Sunset was at 4:22, and I turned around with almost two
miles of hiking to go at 4:00. (Twilight lasts a long time as the sun
slides in at a very shallow angle).

A few minutes before turning around, the winds started. These are
downslope winds and the temperature would briefly increase by 5 to 10
degrees (F) as they passed. It was alternating between snow and
freezing rain at this point and I was getting lots of droplets on the
camera and lens that I had to wipe off before taking a picture. At
this point, the winds were just gusts. Between the gusts it was almost
dead calm. Later in the evening the gusts were easily 50-75 MPH before
abruptly ending. It's funny how those downslope winds work.

I rounded a bend on the trail and came to this spot. A couple was
standing there watching this scene. The setting sun had just popped
out under the cloud layer in the southwest and momentarily lit this
mountain. (I live at the base of the lit mountain). I stopped, got
pictures and talked with the couple. (I'm funny that way--I'm told
that I like to talk). Later on, I met up with them again back at the
parking lot where we talked some more. To make a long story long, he's
the tech manager for the company that produces the "Life Below Zero"
television shows. The old adage about "move to Alaska and get your own
television show" is certainly more true than one can imagine. Anyway,
new friends! Yay!

AK Schnozz