Re: [OM] OT: Subwoofer optimization --deep down a rabbit hole

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Subwoofer optimization --deep down a rabbit hole
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 15:15:38 -0900
Speaking of subwoofers, at our church, I was running FOH sound for our
Christmas Eve services. These are rather, uh, "intense" events and are
typically a variation of a rock concert. I was just below the point
where I wear earplugs. Just barely... I won't mention what the SPL
meter indicated, but it was not a very friendly number.

Anyway, during our rehearsals, I found that I had a runaway situation
with the subs. We always have some weird mode issues in that room, but
it was really causing me grief this time. Probably the biggest problem
was being out of practice since we've been doing online streaming for
months and months. Anyway, I finally swept a notch filter around and
found my culprit. A little tweaking and I got that fixed, and was able
to get the levels pushed up bigly.

I don't know how long this feed will stay on youtube, but here is one
of four of our services. The TSO song is at the 39 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/yo5B9EM9O4g

I'm not responsible for the broadcast mix, this time, but it didn't
turn out bad. :)

AK Schnozz