[OM] Of dogs and bokeh balls

Subject: [OM] Of dogs and bokeh balls
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 00:28:10 -0800
The other night I noticed that if I knelt on my living room floor, I could line up my neighbor's Christmas lights just above the sofa where my dog Tilly often lounges.  A long shooting session followed.  There were many variables.  The size of the out-of-focus lights in the image varied drastically depending on both aperture and how closely the lens was focused. I ended up with this:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/50725536431/in/dateposted-public/>

This picture is actually a composite of two images, one where my dog is expressing herself nicely, and another where the Christmas lights appear separated and recognizable.

Here's the original. The bokeh balls are bigger, and intersect like weird Venn diagrams.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1000996.jpg.html>

I like it, too, but I don't think most non-photographers would recognize the bokeh as Christmas lights. Which is why I chose to make the composite for my final image.  What do you think?

Leica M10-P and Voigtlander 50/1.2 Nokton. Press F11 and click on image to view the flickr image large. Enjoy!

--Peter