Re: [OM] photo hosting

Subject: Re: [OM] photo hosting
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:31:57 -0800
> From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx <mailto:om3ti@xxxxxxxx>>
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the following
> mentioned here.
> https://www.linuxlinks.com/photogallery/
> <https://www.linuxlinks.com/photogallery/>

I’ve played with the Piwigo, Coppermine, and Zenphoto, and found all three
lacking somewhat.

One thing I really want is the ability to use an existing photo file structure.
I believe all three of these (and, I suspect, most of the others) require your
photos to be imported into a separate library that they maintain. But what I
REALLY want is something like a web-accessible DAM, where I could see ALL my
work in private and then select ones for public access.

Is this ONLY for photos? I’ve been considering ResourceSpace for its ability to
deal with more kinds of media, notably PDFs and various video formats.

> Wordpress plugins…

Can of worms! You can do it, but mastering the Wordpress plugin world is a
career unto its own.

(On the flip side of that, if you manage to master the WP plugin world, I know
people who are pulling down $80/hr doing such things.)

> Drupal:

Ugh. I’ve found Drupal to be a pig. I want something that will work reasonably
well on a ten-year-old machine.

> Any advice would be much appreciated.

As someone who’s been poking at self-hosting for a long time, I’m interested in
what you discover. I’m currently so desperate for something that does what I
WANT IT TO DO that I’m considering rolling my own, using Rails.

Jan