Re: [OM] Last Gasp - and - Another Look at Horse Nettle

Subject: Re: [OM] Last Gasp - and - Another Look at Horse Nettle
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 16:10:03 -0700
On 9/23/2020 1:58 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Hi Moose,

You did a nice job with the buddleia.

Thanks, but it's mostly the camera for the flowers. I did lower background
brightness and contrast and blur it.

Were I your age, I might look into that technique.  Unfortunately, I've reached the point where I try to keep my picture-taking techniques fairly simple. Complex activities are getting harder to recall and perform.

OH, I know that. That's why I would not recommend focus bracketing for later merging. Powerful technique, but usually fussy. The in-camera stacking is almost dead simple.

No need for a tripod, if able to hand hold for a second or two without moving wildly. Moderate breeze that moves the whole subject a little is usually OK, too. The merger process aligns the frames, cropping the field of view slightly.

Anything that moves parts of the subject relative to each others fails. Even then, one ends up with a series of 'frames' at slightly different focal distances, from which to pick the best.

So, GAS, and new techniques are no longer on my to-do list.

Yeah, I know, but it's hard to curb my enthusiasm. :-)

I hadn't thought about Oly's in-camera focus stacking for quite a while, and this shot of yours gave me an excuse to go out and use it. It's faster on the E-M1 II than it was with the E-M5 II, making hand holding easier.

GAS Ping Moose