Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm--now QM

Subject: Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm--now QM
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 20:46:27 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<I've always been intrigued by QM and took extra physics classes just to
<<understand it. The professor commented that I had a good intuitive
<<understanding of the electron orbit. I also took complicated field and waves
<<courses. Without a mathematical vision to guide intuition, I don't see how
most
<<people can really get QM.

Afraid my math has deteriorated beyond recognition.  Haven't used a Hamiltonian
operator since about??????   1979.
Even mathematically guided intuition seems to come up short  in some QM
situations.    How about the case of the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser?  I
don't think
QM can get any weirder.  Remember the double slit  experiment I referenced?
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/02/980227055013.htm

Detected--wave fxn collapses--electrons acted as particles and two heaps on the
detector; not detected--act as waves with interference pattern and go through
both slits.

Now look at this!!  Worth a view, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

https://tinyurl.com/y2kncfo8

Moose was looking for a macroscopic example of QM in action.  Here is
another---the strange case of Reinhold Bertlmann's socks.  He works in quantum
physics at the  Univ of Vienna.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Reinhold_Bertlmann_showing_his_socks_%28Vienna%2C_30_Aug_2007%29.jpg

His colleagues observed that his socks acted as quantum entangled pairs.  If
they observed him walking into the office revealing the left sock were pink,
the contralateral sock was always not pink.  It was as if the
observation affected the results.

This phenomenon  is even referenced in one of John Bell's papers--just read the
first paragraph or so.

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/jpa-00220688/document

Unfortunately the hidden variable is Bertlmann's dislike of wasting time
sorting socks, but I'll not ruin the story.

I would bet Moose and/or AG have excellent examples of quantum entangled sock
pairs to show us, Mike