[OM] Nathan's PAD 12/9/2020: testing the Fotodiox AF adapter

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 12/9/2020: testing the Fotodiox AF adapter
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 07:56:02 +0200
I don’t buy much new equipment these days; by and large, I have what I need.
But occasionally, something really compelling comes along. I recently saw an ad
for a Fotodiox adapter to mount Leica lenses on Fuji X cameras, and I bought
one. It arrived on Friday, and yesterday I tried it with the 90mm Elmarit on my
Fuji X-T2. Basically, it looks like a thicker version of a regular lens
adapter, and it is slightly bigger at the bottom, but not overly large. You
mount the lens, roughly focus the lens (to, say, 5 meters for regular street
photography, 1 meter for close-ups and infinity for subjects far away but
necessarily infinity). According to the manual, this pre-focusing is only
needed on telephoto lenses. But my interest is precisely to use the magnificent
90mm on my Fuji. So I tested the combination as I always do—I took some
pictures.

Monica, at close distance and at f2.8:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-KNMF5P7/A

Decoration on the wall of my home office, also at f2.8:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Z384c76/A

A small boat arriving in our harbour:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-PtZLg8z/A

I am pretty pleased with this device. The AF is not as fast as a native Fuji
lens, but it is serviceable, and the success rate is much higher than when I
focus these lenses manually on the Fuji.

The adapter is here:
https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/lm-fxrf-prn

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"