Re: [OM] RR Bridge rebuild nearly done

Subject: Re: [OM] RR Bridge rebuild nearly done
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 14:06:49 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     UP ran a freight train across the repaired bridge yesterday.  That drag
had been sitting waiting for a long time as it had no place other else to go.

     While UP is taking care of the last details, the repair of the street and
park underneath come next.  UP has already stated that it will take care of all
the expenses.

     I'm actually very impressed with the speed at which this was done.
Perhaps UP management will see the light and overhaul the line to Yuma that had
been abandoned in the 90s after the derailment of the Sunset Limited.  That was
deemed an act of terrorism, which has yet to be solved.

>     I drove around a little and found an advantage point on a freeway
> entrance ramp, but there was no opportunity to stop and take photos.  So I
> just drove slowly and took a good look.
>
>     The destroyed Pratt truss section is being replaced with a simple Pony
> Plate (aka Through Plate Girder) bridge, which is both expedient and
> cost-effective.  I couldn't see well enough, but I get the impression that
> the destroyed wooden trestle approach section is being replaced with a
> rock-filled berm, which may have been the pile driver sounds I heard earlier.
>

>>1. No significant foundation damage that can be taken care of without
>>redigging, pouring and pile-driving.
>>2. The main spans not pretzeled are OK for now.
>>3. They already have some spans ready to go for other projects that
>>they can hijack. Minimal new fabrication required.
>>4. DHS cleared the way from onerous local permitting requirements and
>>environmental studies.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson