Re: [OM] Baff-Oly_ation

Subject: Re: [OM] Baff-Oly_ation
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2020 19:34:57 -0700
At 8/4/2020 02:26 PM, Moose wrote:
>Oly has announced that their new 100-400/5-6.3 lens ships 9/8. Robin Wong has
>a useful review
>up.
><https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2020/08/olympus-mzuiko-100-400mm-f5-63-is-review.html?showComment=1596568652509#c4080700950774125380>
>
>It had more elements than the PLeica, and is longer and heavier, but not a
>lot. OTOH, why is it slower at the wide end? Obsession with constant aperture?
>
>But what I can't figure out is the OIS. Unlike the Pro lenses with OIS, it
>doesn't do their "Sync IS"
>
>Here's what I posted on Robin's review:
>-----------------------------------
>"I am confused about the IS. Why offer 2-axis OIS, and 3-axis combined with
>camera body? Are Olympus implying that the 5-axis IBIS of the later bodies
>doesn't work well @ long FLs?
>
>Any idea how the two options compare?
>
>When I first got a Leica 100-400, I did some casual comparisons of lens OIS
>vs. E-M5 II body IBIS. As far as I could tell, they were equal @ 400 mm. I
>also have some spectacular examples of OLY IBIS with the 75-300 @ 300 mm on
>E-M5 II at very low shutter speeds. Here's 300 mm @ 1/20 sec.
>http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/E-M5II_IBIS/Robin.htm
>
>With the latest Oly bodies, why not just turn the lens IS off, and use body
>IBIS? Does mounting the lens make that not possible?"
>-----------------------------------
>
>Until someone does comparison shots, it's impossible to know which is the
>optically better lens. In the meantime, I continue to find the PLeica
>excellent. And it does combine with my Panny bodies for their "Dual IS", five
>axis IS.
>
>Confuse A Moose

One of Robin's response (not your robin shot) to your question, he indicates
that the lens, a telephoto, has more sensitivity in the lens because  "the
movement happens at the longer end of the lens, and there is only so much the
body, which is so far away from the lens and where the shake is happening, can
do." I'm not sure that makes any sense to me? The motion sensors are not at the
long end of the lens, are they? I suspect they are near the optical IS and
hence the camera sensors are at the "other" long end of the lens, assuming I am
balancing the long lens on the tripod mount. Seems like a bogus argument to me.

I don't have any oly cameras to tell for sure, but the PL 100-400 + GX9 IBIS
does quite well.

WayneS