Re: [OM] OT: Railroad Bridge Fire

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Railroad Bridge Fire
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 15:24:12 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Did any of those videos show the little fireboat that saved the day?
There were firefighters on the adjacent light rail bridge to the east, but they
couldn't get to the far side where the fire was advancing towards a couple of
tank cars full of gasoline.

     They will need to get that bridge repaired on double-quick time.  It is
the ONLY rail route that goes eastward from Phoenix.  Most rail traffic will
now have to be routed through Wellton (east of Yuma) and anything for the east
side will have to be routed through Picacho, Coolidge, and Magma. UP schedulers
will be pulling their hair out for months.

>I enlisted the help of "the googles" and saw video and pictures of it.
>Yeah, that's a mess. I figure two-years as a minimum before that
>bridge is back in action. But I'm going to guess five years and a full
>rebuild.The railroads have been trying to get rid of as many of those
>truss style bridges as possible.
>
>There are also primary telecom fiber routes that go across that
>bridge. Or did... Fortunately, the Interwebs are pretty resilient with
>many levels of redundancy, but this will immediately put a halt on a
>lot of nightly network upgrade work until everything has been spliced
>around this break.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson