Re: [OM] OT: Railroad Bridge Fire

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Railroad Bridge Fire
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 21:53:39 +0200
   So let’s see the pics!
   Nathan Wajsman
   Alicante, Spain
   [1]http://www.frozenlight.eu
   [2]http://[3]www.greatpix.eu
   PICTURE OF THE WEEK: [4]http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws
   Blog: [5]http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/
   Cycling: [6]http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/belgiangator
   YNWA
   "I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"

   On 29 Jul 2020, at 21:09, Chris Trask <[7]christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   wrote:

       We have quite a catastrophe taking place here in Tempe.  At 6:15
   this morning a UP freight train derailed while crossing a long
   multi-section bridge over Town Lake.  One of the cars that derailed was
   carrying flammable material used in making nylon, but it did not
   ignite.  By the time I found out about this the entire bridge was on
   fire with the train stopped.
       The bridge is 105 years old.  It's a multi-section Warren Truss
   design.  The crossties and other portions are wood, but the structure
   itself is heavy steel.  The approach on the south end was a wooden
   trestle, which burned completely.  That first section of the bridge was
   turned into a pretzel.
       I bailed out of the coffee shop and headed home, where I grabbed a
   camera and a bicycle.  I got a few shots from the south side just as
   the police were pushing people back from the lake and evacuating nearby
   apartments.  I quickly cycled around to the west and got the opposite
   side just before the police closed off the north side path.  I stayed
   there for a couple of hours with a couple of DPS cops and later a Tempe
   cop.  Got a bunch of photos, and the scenes were pretty exciting.  The
   middle span was still burning, as was a 60-foot open freight car
   (wagon) full of lumber.  Coupled to it was a pair of tank cars that I
   was told were full of gasoline, and their skin temperature was around
   200F.  The firefighters on the east side couldn't get water on the west
   side, so the fire kept spreading towards the tank cars.  A small power
   boat with a water canon showed up and the fire was soon under control.
    For a while it looked like four firefighters were trying to uncouple
   the tank cars
    from the burning lumber car.
       This is no minor bridge.  It's the single rail route to the east
   and south from Phoenix.  It will take at least a year to repair it,
   provided it can be repaired.  In the meantime, rail traffic will have
   to be routed through Gila Bend.
   Chris
       - Hunter S. Thompson