[OM] Comet Neowise

Subject: [OM] Comet Neowise
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 03:12:26 -0700
Here's the comet, as seen from Richmond Beach, just north of Seattle:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/50128829231/in/dateposted-public/>

I envy those of you with dark skies (Great shots, Aram!).  I scouted around our area a few days ago, and found what I thought would be an ideal spot--Kayu Kayu park, with a clear view to the northwest over Puget Sound.  But there was a little matter of street lights and ghastly sodium vapor lights illuminating the sewage treatment plant right below the comet.  Plus, the local constabulary were present to make sure nobody entered the park proper after the official dusk closing time. So my best laid plans for a dark spot at the far end of the park were foiled.

I set up a tripod by the side of the road and did the best I could anyway. This shot was taken with an Olympus E-M5 and an old Olympus OM Zuiko 135/3.5 lens, effectively 270mm.  I could barely see the comet with the naked eye and not at all in the viewfinder.  So I aimed by shooting blind with a 45mm lens, centered the comet by trial and error, and then switched to longer lenses.

Enjoy!  More to come...
--Peter