Re: [OM] Olympus quits camera business after 84 years - BBC News

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus quits camera business after 84 years - BBC News
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 14:49:46 -0700
On 6/27/2020 12:38 PM, Piers Hemy wrote:
I think you have that about right, Bill. We can maybe look forward to the
brand name proliferating into spectacles, rechargeable batteries and
chargers, SD cards who knows?

I expect you would be right. Except that, in at least one article I read, it was known they would have rights to "OM-D" and a couple of other things, but perhaps not "Olympus". I imagine whatever the end agreement, rights to the Oly name/logo will be tightly controlled. Remember, the much larger part of the company uses it for their profitable business.

And SSWF being licensed to other manufacturers,

This is one of life's little mysteries. I have had sensor schmutz problems with the Canons, but not as yet with any of my Pannys. I know about Nathan and Mike's GM5 sensor problems, but wonder if those are something other than ordinary dust.

I haven't had to clean an Oly sensor in 42k shots, nor a Panny in 16k. There's always a little delay when turning a Panny off. I've wondered if they have a secret license from Oly, or have reverse engineered it. I am, in any case, pleased.

Logo Moose