Re: [OM] E-M5 iii + lens

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 iii + lens
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 14:25:24 -0800
> I'm leaning toward the smaller camera for me to be the E-M5 iii. One big
> attraction for me is the good (27mm) eyepoint relief viewfinder.

I think I can weigh in on this as I've recently researched and tried
the various cameras looking for something, uh, modern, and serious.

The E-M5 III is actually a very nice camera, but the viewfinder just
wasn't quite there. You KNOW you're giving up something with this
camera. It's strange, because the camera is extremely competent, but
it's "off" somehow. I harken back to the film OM days and it's
definitely a two-digit model as compared to the single-digit models.
It's very hard to quantify the tangible differences because the specs
are so close, but the intangible differences are real and significant.

Panasonic's DfD focus system is very good -- when using Panasonic
lenses. For all but the pickiest of us, the focus system is quite
adequate. With legacy or other brand lenses, it's not going to be
nearly as fast and might frustrate. However, the G9's viewfinder is
worth the price of admission. In the entire world of m43, I maintain
that the G9 is the best overall camera. Honestly, it feels a lot like
the E-3 in that you know this thing was designed for serious use and
not to be fiddled with.

There is a blogger I follow once in a while who had a "complete"
system in three different formats. He had a medium-format digital, a
FF digital, and a crop-sensor digital system. He ended up selling off
all but one lens for the medium format, and minimized the crop-sensor
system to just two "general purpose" lenses. His primary system is the
FF. What he discovered was that by building up a complete crop-sensor
system with gobs of top-end glass, he had a system that was
effectively as large and heavy as the FF system. And his take on that
was is if he's going to drag that much weight around, it's going to be
the FF system. He uses the crop-sensor camera when he wants to travel
light, not when he wants to just shoot with a POTENTIALLY lighter
system.

In that regard, this is pretty much where I'm at right now. The
Pansonic GX85 with the 12-32, 50-150, and 25/1.7 make a very nice
"grab-n-go" kit that fits anywhere and weighs almost nothing.
Alternatively, the E-400 with 14-42 and 40-150 is also a fantastic
little grab-n-go kit. While I would love to flesh out the m43 kit with
tons of fancy lenses and bodies, it really doesn't fit because if I'm
going to be serious about my photography, I'm carring serious cameras
and lenses.

AG Schnozz