Re: [OM] 300mm macros

Subject: Re: [OM] 300mm macros
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 21:22:13 -0700
On 6/4/2020 10:17 AM, Lawrence Woods wrote:
I was practicing with a recently acquired E-M5 II and the 75-300mm M Zuiko zoom yesterday at a conservation area in my town and got a few pictures I thought worth sharing.

*A wary eye *
full frame from less than 2 meters away
http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=23563*
*

I love taking and viewing frog pix!

*D**ragonfly*
Also at the close-focus end.  This is a crop of the center.  I am amazed at how much detail got captured, especially in the wings, even though it is not exactly clear exactly what the autofocus locked on to.

You can get a lot closer. I used extension tubes with mine, cheap auto ones. Some samples. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=4534>

By the time I switched to the new PLeica 100-400, I also changed to use of Achromatic close-up lenses. They both required much less fuss to use and worked at least as well with complex zooms as extension tubes.

*Blue Heron*

Not a macro, obviously.  The bird had just speared a fish, but almost missed.  The fish is impaled on the upper beak only.  The bird did manage to get the fish off and eat it.   Lens was zoomed to 300mm, Shutter speed was 1/250 with IS active, but it's not as sharp as I would have liked. http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=23569

On the E-M5 II, to avoid shutter shock blur, ["The minuscule camera shaking caused by shutter movements can be reduced . . ."] you must have
[Anti-Shock[♦]/Silent[♥]] in Shooting Menu 2 set with Anti-Shock[♦] ON and
delay = zero.

This is a lot of noise and misdirection to use Electronic First Curtain.

C. U. Moose