Re: [OM] IMG: Small Grounder, Different Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Small Grounder, Different Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 14:33:04 -0700
On 5/2/2020 3:53 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
After posting several bird photos made with the Leica Telyt-R 250/4 + 2X Extender, I decided to see how the ZD 50-200 lens performed under similar conditions, using AutoFocus.  This was made at about 70 ft., so it is a small crop.  The bird is probably a House Finch. Lens is wide open at 200mm.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20200502-P5021330.JPG.html

This lens resolves detail well, the other has more reach.  AF is nice to have.

It may be sharper than the Telyt. Hard to be sure from here, as cropping and processing aren't the same. But the bokeh is definitely worse.

Looking at the original Brown Thrasher photo, see how the sharpness, both in front and behind, moves gently into smooth softness.

In these shots, OTOH, the bokeh, particularly background, is full of sharp, doubled edges. Much less restful and pulls my attention away from the birds.

Edgy Moose