Re: [OM] News Flash-no flash

Subject: Re: [OM] News Flash-no flash
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 22:05:03 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Appreciate the comments and suggestions. There seems to be a vast hoard of them
on evil bay.

I am sure Dr. Flash never thought flash to be evil--I like the catch lights and
the ability to overpower mixed weird lighting--at least in part. Flash also
freezes motion for critters etc.

<<<< I don’t think constant sources can get within three stops of a good flash.

If you really want photons in abundance try a megaflash PF300 flashbulb.  I
have some Big Berthas left around here somewhere. Last used with my OM-2 a few
years back.  FP mode is just about right for these.   Triggers the FB about 20
msec before first curtain.

http://www.meggaflash.com/index.php/meggaflash-bulbs/flashbulb-slow-peak-pf300

Tim did a quick calculation for me:

The megaflash PF300 is a 30mS bulb.with about 106000 lumen-sec output at
1/30sec shutter. As a very rough calc this is equivalent to a hefty 2100 J
studio flash bank. You would need ~11  Metz CT60 flashes for a portable setup"

Photons R Us, Mike