Re: [OM] OT: Coronacooties

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Coronacooties
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 21:57:00 -0700
Looks more like confounding by reverse causation to me--observational data can
be misleading.  Patients very sick with a serious febrile illness are more
likely to take a NSIAD.
There is, however, an unusual case where by ASA  at least can markedly worsen a
viral illness---Reye's  syndrome in kids --likely triggered by aspirin.  There
are so many cases that any such risk factors will be/have been sorted.

Lots of evidence that the majority of deaths from the 1918 flu were due to
serious overuse of NSAID aspirin.

Bayer's patent ran out in 1917, and there was lots of it available cheap. The medical thinking at the time was that it was the fever that damaged and killed.. As death rates climbed, and there were no other treatments, desperation led to ever increasing doses of aspirin. The dosages,(which I forget details of) were many times higher than anyone would use today.

Autopsy reports from the time, looked at from today's viewpoint, suggests
millions died of aspirin poisoning.

Possibly the biggest "smoking gun" is that mortality in homeopathic hospitals was almost non-existent. Homeopaths at the time and after used this fact to tout the greater effectiveness of homeopathy, compared to allopathy. In fact, it was far better, in this specific instance, in that it wasn't poisoning its patients with aspirin, This one instance says nothing pro or con in the larger argument.

Disclaimer: All the above is from reading on the web. I tried to use reliable
sources . . .

So . . . asking the question whether NSAIDs might be a problem with this virus, seems appropriate. I suspect not, but "There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Dreams of Cures Moose