Re: [OM] OT: New Sonie lens 20/1.8

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: New Sonie lens 20/1.8
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 11:25:23 -0500
A lot of nice scenery, and beautiful color.  Thanks for sharing.

On 3/23/20 11:05 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
Not OM, but many have Sony gear.

Sony recently released a new 20mm/F1.8 lens. I'm very happy with this lens and
it seems to do really well on a A7Riv camera. It really fills a gap that feels
just right. I'm not so happy using the 16-35/4 zoom compared to this lens. It
does suffer some lens flare when shooting in the direction of the sun, but
otherwise everything is sharp.

As mentioned in previous post on Social Distancing (SD) I was out on the trails
this weekend. Yes there were people in groups but generally there was plenty of
openness.

I managed to get up an unmarked trail on Granite Mountain used by rock
climbers, which you can see in one photo. Normally people don't go up that way.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d87JhM1fBMVM6jvG7

I was expecting more wide angle distortion, but not so much. It also does some
pretty cool close-up shots. The cactus root was taken a few inches away.

There was quite a bit of discussion on Fred Miranda site on this lens. The full
resolution versions (not posted) are really incredible. I did use Sharpen AI,
but if I used the default sharpen (not Focus or Stablize) there was very little
improvement. Here I used Focus which did add some crispness. It is sharper than
the 24-105/4 on the A7Riii.

An unsharpened full res image:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eof8urfo3wrfq8l/7R400771.jpg?dl=0

Open Air WayneS