Re: [OM] 180/2 at KEH

Subject: Re: [OM] 180/2 at KEH
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 06:47:19 -0700
I had the 180/2.0 white until I moved on to digital. I had some discussion of
using it with extensions for good working distance macro. It was not too heavy.
I also had the 350/2 at one point, sent it off to someone in Texas to repair
the sticky focus and never saw it again. That was a beast of a lens.

I'd be concerned with these legacy OM whites that the focus mechanism has stale
grease in them. They are a pain to repair. Nothing more frustrating than to
turn the focus and nothing happens, then jumps around. For this reason, I would
never consider them in this day and age. Focus by wire does have the advantage
here.

The best 180mm I had was the Canon 180/3.5 L Macro lens. It also suffered from
focus sticking and not working. Canon repaired it. Sigma also made one (150mm)
that might have been a better lens. Why the focus ring would not work smoothly
on a mechanical focus lens I never understood.

I learned it was best to store lenses in a vertical position to prevent focus
sticking issues.

It might make a nice looking trophy to put on the shelf.

The 100/2 was still my favorite of the OM lens. Put that on u43 and you have
200mm equivalent.

I can't imagine the 180/2, even if less than $1K, would be that viable with
today's camera options.

WayneS