Re: [OM] Unintended Consequence - Good One

Subject: Re: [OM] Unintended Consequence - Good One
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 09:59:53 -0800
On 2/21/2020 8:33 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
Thanks for this information. I can't imagine living without Topaz SharpenAI now.

Although my post was entirely about Denoise AI. I DO us Sharpen AI, but this particular setting of Denoise - with it's "Enhances Sharpness" slider at ZERO, has its own special magic.

Sharpen AI has its own magic, as in Tina's photo of Michelle, but it also sometimes introduces artifacts. This use of Denoise AI, mostly for intake sharpening, is remarkably free of halos and other artifacts.

I should also confess that a couple of the examples, with a "Process" variant
include a dusting of Focus Magic.

I suppose it would be nice if here were only one tool best for each function.
But that's not the way it is, at this moment.

I recently got a notice from TopazLabs of a new pricing model. The claim was
that the previous model forced them to release new products in order to
generate sufficient revenue. Now the model goes to yearly update model on major
releases. (or something to that affect) Which will allow them to focus more on
improving existing products.

I'm actually kinda excited about this, if they follow through. These plug-ins really need things like saved profiles. In FocusMagic, I can select both noise profiles and NR settings that I've tuned for particular cameras and ISOs. With the Topaz products, I have to remember, or take notes.

I suspect from the previous pricing model DenoiseAI versus SharpenAI used a
very similar engine as both have denoise and both have sharpen. The denoiseAI
may rely on the sharpenAI technology to determine noise and vice versa.
Releasing more than one product with similar underlying technology to create
revenue.

Can one do that with NNs? Select part of one and graft it into another? Doesn't sound right to me. They may have used some of the same images to train each.

As for Georgia O'Keefe's reasons, you could also try some of the Topaz Studio 2
abstractions... :-)
Fun with Moose photo https://photos.app.goo.gl/GEoxdJ5dhN9eLooz5

Just reached around behind me and grabbed my copy of "Georgia O'Keefe, Abstractions" off the floor, where it was resting temporarily, leaning against a chest of drawers.

I was referring to this quote from her, "I hate flowers. I paint them because they’re cheaper than models and they don’t move."

Flowers Moose