Re: [OM] IMG: More Spring in February

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Spring in February
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 12:37:44 -0800
On 2/20/2020 11:51 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
Moose-in-One wrote:

I didn't expect anyone would recognize a built-in zoom camera with old
fashioned mechanical shutter release receptacle.
It's definitely an oddity. What is even more odd is that SONY doesn't
use this very shutter-release button on other cameras--especially the
A7 series.

OTOH, my A7 works with their IR remote. That works very well for macro on stand
and tripod work.

With coins in my jeans from my recent gear sales, I decided to look for
something in-between. I hadn't noticed when the
RX10 series leapt from 24-200 mm to 24-600 mm. The reviews make it sound like
the best of that ilk, and possibly the
answer to my search. It even takes the same battery as my A7.
The lens is remarkable too. Very sharp and has the micro-contrast in
all the right places. Distortion is a bit rich as you'd expect for a
superzoom.

I've not shot anything as yet where it would be noticeable. And then, ACR/LR apply a profile to correct linear distortion and CA by default. DxO also has that body/lens profiled.

And speaking of shutter releases, Panny has no mechanical, wired or dedicated
wireless shutter release options. Only via smartphone app, which is overkill
for most of my use. Why?
While I really like using the smartphone remote function, it's good
for specific purposes, not every purpose. And the latency is bad. It
gets even worse when you are more than a few feet away from the
camera.

Yes, it's distinct negative. Fortunately, for most such use, I'm at home, and
can use the A7 or an old E-M5 II.

Minor Distortion Moose