Re: [OM] IMG: More Spring in February

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Spring in February
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:29:33 -0800
On 2/19/2020 4:52 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Who'd a thunk it? Name that camera!
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=23453>
Pleasantly Surprised Moose
Probably the Sony RX10 IV.

WOW!

I didn't expect anyone would recognize a built-in zoom camera with old fashioned mechanical shutter release receptacle. They don't stint on remote release options, mechanical, wired, BT and 'phone. I do like my Pixel wireless remote. One new cable and it works for these Sonys, too.

I've been contemplating our planned trip to NYC in April, thinking about what I carried there last time, and my experience primarily using a ZS200 in Dublin and Galway last Fall.

With coins in my jeans from my recent gear sales, I decided to look for something in-between. I hadn't noticed when the RX10 series leapt from 24-200 mm to 24-600 mm. The reviews make it sound like the best of that ilk, and possibly the answer to my search. It even takes the same battery as my A7.

Looks good, so far.

I really like the RX10 series. For those of us who had/have the
Minolta A1/A2 cameras, it really is the spiritual descendant of those
cameras. While I no longer buy all-in-one cameras, if I did, it would
be an RX10 xx.

I expect I'll still be carrying three bodies, with 7-14, 12-60 and 100-400 lenses in the field. But for urban adventures, subways, etc. that's way too much stuff.

Some things in this world leave me scratching my head. I'd played with this thing for a couple of days before I actually noticed the top plate LCD panel. I can't figure what it's for, other than perhaps to look more "pro", like a DSLR? With a tilting live view LCD on the back, the top LCD is superfluous.

And speaking of shutter releases, Panny has no mechanical, wired or dedicated wireless shutter release options. Only via smartphone app, which is overkill for most of my use. Why?

G. A. S. Moose