Re: [OM] Juvenile Bald Eagle

Subject: Re: [OM] Juvenile Bald Eagle
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 00:25:11 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
WayneS writes:

<<What's the river like this time of year? From the background of the swings,
<<<looks like no ice

Somewhat deceptively I put the current eagle shot in with images from a similar
outing in 2014. The image of the river you spotted was from then.   We have had
two cold snaps with high single digits, but a warm winter thus far
overall and not much ice near the mouth of the Merrimack this year.  The Deer
Island of interest is accessible from  a small turnoff on the Chain Bridge
between Newburyport and Amesbury.
Moose has been there.   The Bald Eagles did not start re-nesting there until
about 1989 and were not all that easy to  find until the last several years.
They have done well--may it continue.
Some years one can venture forth on secure ice a small distance.  I suspect the
E-M1 Mk11 would fare better than I would with a dunking.  You must have had a
very very  cold walk back.
A few years back it was <10 deg F and howling for the eagle day and I froze
while dry.

Waiting for Spring, Mike