Re: [OM] Scanner profiling with Vuescan and IT8 printed target

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanner profiling with Vuescan and IT8 printed target
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 10:29:24 -0800
On 2/12/2020 7:35 AM, Philippe wrote:
I was joking and teasing Piers a bit :-)

Anyhow, established spelling traditions seem to be loosening. My reference in
the matter is the following, and has been for decades for many:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_James%27s_Park
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_James's_Park>

Also see,

In MLA style, proper nouns ending in s that are singular follow the general rule and
add ’s :

Athens’s history
Diogenes’s philosophy
Alexandre Dumas’s novels
Some styles may allow you to add only an apostrophe: Athens’ history, Diogenes’
philosophy, Dumas’ novels.

Source: https://style.mla.org/apostrophes-three-ways/
<https://style.mla.org/apostrophes-three-ways/>

My source is much simpler; how would I say it out loud, in conversation? That means I will possibly be inconsistent. I can't imagine saying "I bought Piers's E-400" Of the above examples, though, I can imagine saying "I've read only a couple of Dumas's novels.", but would not add apostrophal esses to the others.

Pragmatic Moose