Re: [OM] The Boat Graveyard - Homer Spit

Subject: Re: [OM] The Boat Graveyard - Homer Spit
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 22:58:07 -0900
Moose, I agree with your one edit suggestion. But I also have other
photographs from the shoot that were also quite decent, but I had to
come down to a handful. The cropped version that you suggest works,
but in all honesty, I think I have a better picture that doesn't need
the cropping.

Your questioning the blurring got me to look at the set of files again
and verify which lens was used. I thought I had switched from the
100/2 after a few shots, but in retrospect, I had actually changed
over to the 35/2 earlier and this entire set was taken with the 35/2.
I thought several of the shots were with the 100/2 because of the
mountains, but my angle of view had changed and the mountains were
over the boats instead of behind the boats. I was sloppy in my
guessing which lens was being used.

To your thoughts about the blurring, I assure you that it's all
strictly as-is with no additional manipulation. The only manipulation
of the images is strictly in tonal and color structure. Other than the
mentioned cropping, no further Photoshopping occurred.

I looked at the first photo again, as well as the other eight
duplicates. The mountains on the left are slightly sharper than the
ones throughout the rest of the picture because of a slight lens
decentering and very loose OM-EF adapter. It's a problem that I've had
with a couple of the lenses that have a distinctive curved focus plane
and very wide apertures. The 35/2 is rather extreme in both of those
cases. Most of the pictures I took in those few minutes were
wide-open, but there were others where I stopped down and cleared a
few issues up. My adapter is literally worn out and the lens slop was
getting pretty extreme. It wasn't much of a problem with most lenses,
but the 35/2 was really getting bad.

The masts have variable blurring because they really are at different
distances. It's a little misleading in that first photograph, but the
sailboat mast in the middle of the picture is much farther away.
Again, I verified this with other photographs where I adjusted focus
between shots to make sure I nailed it because I don't always trust my
focusing.

One thing this set of photographs does illustrate very well is the DoF
and bokeh characteristics of the 35/2. For a "wide-angle" lens, it has
one of the most aggressive bokeh and narrow DoF traits of almost any
lens of any focal length. It's very much the opposite of the 28/2
which keeps the bokeh spread to a minimum.

It is a little unnerving looking at these photographs realizing that
most of those boats had somebody living in them when I took those
pictures.

AG Schnozz