Re: [OM] The Boat Graveyard - Homer Spit

Subject: Re: [OM] The Boat Graveyard - Homer Spit
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 23:45:10 -0600
Beautiful series, Ken.  They are all great shots.  That was a very quick session.

On 12/22/19 11:15 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Alas, I get around to posting these images on my website. There are a
few among you that will instantly recognize this rather fascinating
and creepy place.

http://zone-10.com/d1/node/326

Seven photos in total. They've been processed to artist' tastes.

All were taken with the Canon 6D with either the OMZ 100/2 or 35/2
lenses. The first two are 100/2 lenses, and the rest 35/2. I switched
out because the light level was finally getting low enough (almost
11PM) and I was shooting handheld.

While I would have liked to have spent more time and used tripods, I
knew that we were being watched by numerous "Spit Rats" that call
these ruins home. At that time of the evening, I didn't think it wise
to put my girls at risk. Or myself for that matter. In fact, they
stayed in the vehicle with the doors locked, engine running, in gear,
foot on the brake, and lined up for an immediate exit. It was getting
sketchy enough (I don't recommend doing what I did), that we were on a
cell call with each other, so as I disappeared from sight, we
continued talking to each other. I was wearing my bluetooth
ear-thingy.

As I walked and photographed, I would hear voices, dogs growling,
music, etc. The smell of various controlled and semi-controlled
substances was strong. (weed, meth, booze) I have no idea how many
people were living in this boat graveyard, but it was certainly more
than a couple dozen. My presence with a camera, that late in the
evening, wasn't going to be tolerated for long. It was getting pretty
dark.

In hindsight, this is one of those "daytime" locations that is best
visited when there are plenty of other people around. What I did at
nearly 11 PM was considerably risky even by Alaska standards. Ok, let
me refine that statement. What I did at nearly 11 PM was considerably
risky BECAUSE of Alaska standards.

You don't go wandering into the middle of a squatters/homeless commune
late in the evening with a camera and get away with it for very long.
According to the metadata, my first picture was at 10:52:42 PM and the
last one at 10:57:23 PM. This cat hustled.

The next day, I was going to stop and get a few more pictures, but I
was so creeped out from the night before, I just drove right past and
said "nope, nope, nope.".

AK Schnozz

--
Jim Nichols