Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 18/12/2019: two honest-to-goodness Leica pics

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 18/12/2019: two honest-to-goodness Leica pics
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 20:07:33 -0900
> On Wednesday, my little team of economists went for a Christmas lunch at the
> beach restaurant Moments. I had my M8 with me, so the two images below are a
> combination of technology for the 2000s and the 1970s.

Sorry that it has taken me a week to comment. I've been completely
wiped out with some viral thing going around.

I like the Dessert photo. Good timing and the bokeh just works.

The Beach promenade traffic photo is a little odd to me. The DoF seems
off to my eyes. It either needs more DoF or less DoF. Having the two
guys on the right somewhat out of focus but not really out of focus
makes for too much eye redirection. My eye flow is caught in a
back-and-forth thing between them, the man, and the dog, but not in a
good way. Usually, this back-and-forth encourages an interpretation of
tension--of which there seems to be with the dog walker himself as
he's looking at the guys. But the dog looking straight ahead instead
of at the guys causes the image to fail. Minus the dog, I think we
have something.

While the M8 is about a hundred years old in digital dog years, I
think it still has something going for it. The Kodak CCD sensor just
sees things a little differently than CMOS. I think in another ten
years, the sought after "legacy digital" cameras will be the Kodak and
Fuji SR sensor'd cameras. These premium CCD sensors from that era do
things with skintones that CMOS seems to mimic, but not duplicate.
Just because you can mimic it doesn't make it real. The Kodak and Fuji
sensors from that era have the unique ability to hold proper skin
colors from white clipping to black that nearly match that of premium
portrait films of the day. Most CMOS sensor cameras allow you to "fix
in post" but rarely get there natively.

AG Schnozz