[OM] Nathan's PAD 22/12/2019: a bicycle ride to buy cheese

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 22/12/2019: a bicycle ride to buy cheese
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 19:08:47 +0100
As I do every Sunday, I took a bike ride this morning. I decided for a somewhat
strenous ride to the town of Tibi, to buy homemade goat cheese in Lili’s shop.
Tibi lies in a valley in the mountains above Alicante, at an altitude of about
500 meters; to get there from my house, I have to climb up to 620 meters or so,
then descend to Tibi, then climb out of the valley to a pass at 725 meters, and
then finally go home via Jijona. The length of the ride is 70 km but it is the
climbing that makes it hard. But there are some nice views along the way. Five
images.

Looking back towards Alicante from the first break, 26 km from home, at about
400 meters elevation:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-tGHW79V/A

After some more huffing and puffing, I can see Tibi through the naked almond
trees:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-FwbQKdf/A

After 40 km, I can park my bike outside Lili’s shop:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-FkbmjbK/A

Lili, surrounded by her goat cheeses and some other products of similar
artesanal producers in the area:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-h3m9KCv/A

After buying my cheese (in case you wonder, I carried it in the handlebar bag),
there is the small matter of climbing out of the Ibi valley, a 3 km climb up to
this pass:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-w7Cfps4/A

After this selfie, no more stopping—it is 27 km to get home, mostly downhill of
course.

I had miscalculated my food intake and started getting a bit lightheaded
towards the end of the ride, but by then I was almost home. All was well.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain