Re: [OM] the war is over, they won

Subject: Re: [OM] the war is over, they won
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 10:27:11 -0900
Moose of the iPhones wrote:
> Are they technically good? In terms of qualities of the image separate from
> subject, etc., not particularly, if looked
> at as I edit photos. OTOH, they look pretty great on the phone screen. On Yet
> Another Hand, they are significantly
> better than the photos produced in the billions by Instamatics and their ilk.

I believe that subject matter and image purpose really define the
requirements for quality. As a tool for sharing and remembering
experiences and people, the cellphone camera has far past exceeded the
requirements for technical quality. And in reality, usually are more
suitable than images made with "real cameras".

Many years ago I had a forced realization when it came to wedding
photography. I was trying to make EVERY picture an artistically
awesome picture. In reality, the bulk of the pictures are just
required to capture the story, the people, the experience. I had to
change from using the 100/2.8 for every picture, to the 35/2.8
instead. In the digital era, this has further widened to my normal
focal length being around 28mm.

I also look back at my library of pictures from the '90s and see that
I'm usually missing pictures that establish context as I was just
trying to create art pictures. Obviously, when I was shooting for
stock, those fell under a totally different category and guess what?
Those are all usually pretty artistically bland. But they sell.

For the past couple of years, living here in a photographer's
paradise, I've been taking tons of "record shots" and otherwise
non-artistic pictures. While I'll go macro once in a while, those
pictures lack "place" and "experience". They could just as well have
been taken in Nebraska. As such, I really don't need to worry about
full-frame, DoF, and a bunch of other things that require more money
and discomfort. The cute little DMC-GX85 is far more than sufficient
for the task.

And I take a huge number of pictures with the cellphone camera. The
cellphone is always with me and the picture quality is more than
sufficient for sharing and remembering. But I do use the Lightroom
Camera App!!!!!

AG Schnozz