Re: [OM] New Oly lens plans [was Pup on the Rock]

Subject: Re: [OM] New Oly lens plans [was Pup on the Rock]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 21:20:22 -0800
On 12/3/2019 11:18 AM, Philippe wrote:
What’s funny about all this is that the (micro)four-third promise was that the
gear, lenses, and all that jazz would be as efficient while being lighter and cooler
to use.

What’s left of al of this?

If I may ask :-(

They already did that, and much of it is still there. What is no longer there is gone because buyers didn't appreciate those virtues enough to buy enough cameras to keep them going.

Sure, Oly's latest flagship is a monster. But the E-M5 III is very capable camera is a slightly smaller package than its modest size predecessor. The E-M10 III is even smaller and lighter.

Yup, Panny's flagship still camera, the G9 is almost certainly larger that its capabilities require, and has a (to me) superfluous top deck LCD. But the GX9 brings virtually all, all I need, of the G9's capabilities in a small, light body.

They are following the sales/money. People are buying the larger cameras, likely at higher margins, in quantities that make them profitable.

Same thing for lenses, except most of the early, small/light lenses are still available. But there is already a vast array of those. O&P tried a couple of super fast, big, heavy, expensive lenses. obviously, they were successful. or they shouldn't have been followed by a bunch more.